Friday, October 26, 2007

Baseball Gods to Hurdle: Seth Smith is your human rabbits foot


Call this data-mining at its worst or call it a statistical fluke or call it luck or call it a hot-streak; I don't care. The fact of the matter is the Rockies have NEVER lost with Seth Smith in and they desperately need a spark in their at-bats. Furthermore, Smith does something that few Rockies (especially Spily) have been doing: attack the ball. He's 7-for-12 with a triple (against Peavy even) and 1 strikeout which means he's doing better than Ian Stewart and Joe Koshansky under the pressure of the big leagues. Furthermore his SkySox batting average, RBIs and HRs are very Holliday/Atkins/Helton-esque.
I don't know, I think I'll just be happy if the lineup is a different one tomorrow night.
Anyhow, I'm hoping a huge 'Bartman'-like caliber event happens Saturday to rattle the BoSux's cage and causes them to have a meltdown of Cub-al proportions.
Mendoza's 5280 (reasons Hurdle has to start acting like he wants to win "Manager of the Year")

1 comment:

Howard said...

After this weekend, Smith is now, what? 8-for-14 with two strikeouts? Still sounds like a hitter to me, and with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, trailing by one, I'd still put him in there. He had the look of a hitter alright!

Yeah, I'm now a Rockies fan once again. I lost that fanaticism at the start of the season with talk of trading Helton. But they kept Helton and had such a story-book season this year, and I grew to like and admire so many of their young players, I'll be following the Rockies from now on.

Fanatically.

Rock on, Rockies!